History of the museum

In 2013, FIFA signed a 40-year lease with Swiss Life to rent Haus zur Enge on Tessinerplatz in the centre of Zurich. Construction of the museum began on 25 April 2013, and was completed on 18 December 2015.

Haus zur Enge

Originally an office building, Haus zur Enge was designed by the well-known Zurich architect Werner Stücheli (1916-1983) between 1974 and 1978. When plans to convert the building into the FIFA World Football Museum were approved SAM Architekten und Partner AG stripped it back to its shell and rebuilt, extending it upwards.

Today, our museum has three floors of exhibition space. There is also a street-level sports bar, as well as a bistro, café, museum shop and conference rooms all on the second floor. There are apartments and offices on the third to seventh floors, and penthouse apartments on the eighth and ninth floors.

Haus zur Enge after the renovation

- Three exhibition levels, covering a total area of 3,000m²
- Numerous public areas, including a sports bar, bistro, café-bar, museum shop
- Events and seminars area
Office space:
- Five floors of offices
- Approximately 140 workstations
- 34 exclusive apartments, with surface areas ranging from 64m² to 125m²


We are proud to say that the latest energy concepts were used in the construction of the museum, including the technology it houses and its facade.

The building is linked to Lake Zurich and uses the water there as a source of renewable energy to both heat the building in the winter and to cool it in the summer.  

Facts and figures

 Ground surface area  2,745m²
 Surface area of floors  approx. 24,000m²
 Volume  approx. 81,400m³
 Exhibition space  approx. 3,000m²
 Gastronomy  approx. 650m²
 Total height  37.4m
 Footprint (width/length)  approx. 63m by 48m
 Number of apartments  34